Population 632 approximate
The town of Stinson, originally a spot for grazing cows, was originally inhabited by San Franciscan refugees of the 1906 earthquake. This quaint town is bordered by the rolling hills of the Marin Headlands and Stinson Beach State Park, making it a one stop destination for the whole family.
Located along scenic Highway One it is a postcard perfect town, with it's own quirky personality one can find thier niche in the three miles of sand, surf, restaurants, shops, and trails. Stinson is just 45 minute drive from the city of San Francisco and a 30 minute drive from the main hustle and bustle of Mill Valley. This beachside town is truly living the California dream of wind, waves, and sunshine.
The History of Stinson
The history of Stinson Beach revolves around its geography. Beginning in the 19th century, ranches used the rolling hills to raise milk cows. White Gate Ranch was part of the Throckmorton tenant ranches; only a grove of eucalyptus on Panaoramic Highway marks it's location. in the beginning of the 19th century the area was accessible only by sailboat from San Francisco, by horseback from San Rafael, or on foot over the Dipsea Trail. In 1870, the first dirt road along the coast from Sausalito was completed.
The community really took hold in 1906 when the earthquake brought refugees from San Francisco who built the first hotel and stores and the first Stinson subdivision was accepted by the County. In 1916, with the opening of the first post office, the name was changed to Stinson Beach, in honor of the largest landowners. It was not until the Golden Gate Bridge opened in 1937 that the sleepy resort community began to see much day use of the County Park on the beach. New residents arrived during World War II, and after the war, as a result the town was further developed into the Stinson Beach that's here today.